22.4.13

a killer's dream


Lately I've become smitten with the songs of Miss Rachel Brooke. She draws from smoky old-time blues, honky-tonk, and rockabilly with heavy shades of gothic Americana; the perfect soundtrack for rainy and mysterious Springtime evenings! It's just a shame that artists like her are pushed into this obscure alt-country niche, 'cause she sounds like she'd be right at home on the country airwaves in the days of the Carter Family or Hank, back when country skewed spooky.





I'm crazy about this duet with Lonesome Wyatt!!
(Just hope my roommate doesn't take it the wrong way, ha.)

She's also trying to raise funds for a European tour right now.


  Hope you're doing well out there and enjoying some beautiful Spring weather ♥

16 comments:

  1. From reading your blog over quite a while, I have deduced we have a very similar taste in music so I am definitely going to give her a listen! I always love discovering new artists that use the old-fashioned sound. More songs added to the mix can only ever be a good thing :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, from the title of your blog (Wanda!) I think we must ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh wow you're the only person I've spoken to that has understood that reference!
      Well at least there's one! x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's the beauty of old-time country; sweet waltzing melodies, but the lyrics will tear your heart out. "Wish I had the courage to slit my fuckin' throat"... I don't think Zooey Deschanel will be covering these on the ukelele anytime soon ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to her Dakota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's awesome! I admit that I hadn't heard of her. "back when country skewed spooky" - nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Can you imagine playing this for some, like, Brooks & Dunn or Kenny Chesney fans? They'd be freaking out! Country music used to be so goth.

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much for the lovely introduction. I've become smitten with some of the other artists you've featured here before, and sense that Rachel will become a fast favourite, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, I'm so glad you guys like her too!! Now let's buy some records and help this gal get to Europe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm listening to her most recent album on spotify right now thanks to you!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh the way you described her music has definitely got me interested, i'm going to check her out right now. :)

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, beautiful! thanks for telling me about her.

    itsrainingblueumbrellas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always teach me about wonderful artists that are new to me ... you've introduced me to my latest music-crush - thanks Dakota! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a babe! ♥ You have lovely taste as always kitten! Have a wonderful May! xxx

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥
Speak right up---I read & cherish your every word!
Just keep things mannerly, please.
♥♥♥